Wednesday, October 14, 2015

My experience of a German Christmas, and traveling from Germany to the UK

My decision to travel around Europe for a while alone was a very interesting experience for me. At first when I came to Europe it was to visit my brother and his German wife in Germany for Christmas and New Year's. I ended up staying in Hildesheim, Germany for a month and had a very German Christmas. My Sister-in-Law's German family were actually very nice. Since they didn't know me, they mainly got me a bunch of german chocolates for Christmas. I thought it was really nice of them, I really didn't expect any presents from them at all. The German food was actually very delicious. The Germans love Christmas and their food. I really enjoyed my first German Christmas. I guess I was in so much awe of being in Germany that I forgot to take pictures. I should have taken pictures because Hildesheim, Germany was absolutely gorgeous for a small city. Unfortunately I was so thrilled about going to the UK, where everyone knew English, that I forgot to visit the major cities in Germany like Berlin and Munich! How dumb was I? Oh well, the next time I go to Germany to visit my brother I am definitely seeing Berlin and Munich! It actually wasn't that hard to find people who spoke English in Germany. Most of the Germans actually knew English, especially the young adults. My German Sister-in-Law said it's because they are require to learn it in school now. The older generation didn't seem know English as well. My German Sister-in-Law's mother said that her English got better over the past two years while my brother was there, because when he first moved to Germany and married his wife, he didn't really know that much German. After living in Germany for two years my brother is now very fluent in German. I enjoyed getting to know my Brother's German life and family, but after a month of being in Germany I couldn't wait to get to the United Kingdom.

A word of advice, do not take an overnight train in Europe, unless you plan on spending the night in a train station for a few hours or getting a hotel room. The train stations had no heaters and the trains shut down for a few hours really early in the morning. In the winter this was awful. Later of course, months later I find out that there are actually trains that do run overnight, where you can sleep on the train. If you do go on an overnight train in Europe, make sure you check the times on your train to make sure there are no long gaps between you train times and it's an overnight one that runs that you can sleep on. Unfortunately I paid no attention to the huge gap between the how long connection of my trains would be. Another thing when you get on trains in Europe do not take a train with a lot of connections, because there is a chance that you will miss the connection and it's not even your fault, but the train was delayed or something and you can completely missed your connection and than you are on your own, especially really late at night when train office closed. Unfortunately all this happened to me! I ended up missing my connection and having to take a taxi to my next train connection, because the train office was closed and I couldn't get any help. After the taxi dropped me off at the next station where my train was supposed to connect I had to wait 2-3 hours in the freezing cold waiting for the trains to start working again. After that the rest of my journey to the UK ran smoothly. The border control for Britain are very strict, just like everybody warned me they would be. Fortunately I was smart enough to research these things beforehand and came across a backpacker website that told me that the Brits were strict and what documents that I needed to bring with me so I could get in Britain on a tourist visa. It took the border control a minute to consider letting me into the UK because I said I wanted to visit for 5-6 months. They thought it was suspicious for some reason, but since I provided all the right documents and showed that I had more than enough money to live on while I was there, the immigration officer let me in.  When I finally got to London, I was so happy and exhausted. This was my start first experience traveling and experiencing Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment